conditional registers per function, possible or not?

Dylan_S_Cuthbert@hq.scei.sony.co.jp Dylan_S_Cuthbert@hq.scei.sony.co.jp
Thu Jun 22 08:50:00 GMT 2000

Also, you have to program in assembler :-(  I want to be able to configure
things a little easier.

Regards

Dylan Cuthbert

Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> 2000/06/23 12:37:52 AM

$B08@h(B: Dylan S Cuthbert/SCEI@SCEI
cc:   gcc@gcc.gnu.org
$B7oL>(B: Re: conditional registers per function, possible or not?

Dylan_S_Cuthbert@hq.scei.sony.co.jp writes:

> I didn't get a response to my last question along these lines:
>
> Is it at all possible within the current gcc frame work to be able to use
> conditional registers selected on a per function basis?
>
> Something like this perhaps:
>
> int SpecialFunction( ) __attribute__ ((registers_begin( $8))) __attribute__
> ((registers_end( $20)));
>
> Ideas?

Linux kernel does this sometimes. It just uses an asm with the appropiate
clobbers and codes the function call in inline assembler.

Disadvantage: not schedulable

-Andi