long long, C++ testsuite and -ansi -pedantic-errors

Mike Stump mrs@windriver.com
Mon Jun 12 18:31:00 GMT 2000

> To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
> From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com>
> Date: 13 Jun 2000 03:06:39 +0200

> Even in 5 years, I'm not sure C++ will incorporate long long; and I
> can wait too :-)

I am.  No need to wait though.

> I think -ansi -pedantic should check for the language rules as
> currently defined.

Gosh, I'm so used to developing Standards and tracking Standards in
progress that I'd disagree.  I don't see a good reason to not track
Standards, when we are reasonably sure we know the direction they are
going in.  (No user burn.)

People that want older Standards, can always ask for them, if you want
to support that.

> Or we have to rename these options (or change their documentations).

I don't see the opinions or their documentation as wrong.  -fstd=
allows the ultimate in control, for those that need/want it.  I don't
see much benefit in having -ansi hang back.