BeOS bootstrap

Dennis I. Chernoivanov cdi@sparc.spb.su
Mon Jun 5 23:24:00 GMT 2000

Hello all,

can someone point me out whether BeOS target is supported or not ?

Recently I tried to bootstrap CVS snapshot (sorry, no fast Internet
connection so I have to use snapshots) on i586-pc-beos target with
fairly limited success. I use BeOS R5 on dual PII-350.

Here is what I have got:

- beoself target uses, in particular, ./config/i386/winnt.c file. Comparing to
the version of this file found in GNUPro sources for BeOS R5, there is one
major difference in function `i386_pe_asm_file_end' -- that is, support for
.drectve section. Unfortunately, when building ELF target, neither
'drectve_section' nor 'I386_PE_STRIP_ENCODING' used for implementing this are
defined. I guarded drectve supporting code with ifdefs on 'DRECTVE_SECTION_FUNCTION'
(which made file to look pretty much like the one in GNUPro) and 20000501 snapshot
has built successfully after that.  I attached patch for winnt.c in case it could be
useful.

- yesterday I tried to build 20000604. Beside the change I described above, I
got a bunch of warnings `function declaration is not a prototype'. I fixed
this with patch which is also attached. Unfortunately all of this did not help
to build 20000604 since `fixincl' got segmentation violation. Surprisingly
enough, it got it in the middle of `malloc' while trying to open new file in
`proc2_fopen'. It was late night when I got it, so no additional comments on
this, at least for awhile :)

- accidentally I took a look at ./config/i386/beos-pe.h file. I noticed that
this file includes "cygwin32.h" file. AFAIK, "cygwin32.h" was renamed to
"cygwin.h", so it looks to me that beos-pe target won't build as well.

- and one more thing: current CVS misses BeOS threads support. GNUPro had it;
it looks it was missed while integrating BeOS support into the current CVS.
If BeOS is still among supported targets, it would be rather disappointing to
drop threads support on the way from 2.95 to the next release (it would affect
c++ thread-safe exception handling, isn't it ?)

Thanks for looking into that.

--
Regards,
--Dennis