/usr/local/include before /usr/include?

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Fri Feb 25 11:25:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, David Starner wrote:

> Most UNIX's have /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in the default path.
> That seems to disagree with your interpreation. How is a system
> adminstrator supposed to override a system include without messing
> with /usr/include's, then?

Not any I've run into.  In fact, most UNIX's, bar Linux, don't even have a
/usr/local/include to begin with.

> If I were you, I'd put the includes in /usr/local/include/Mesa/GL
> or some other place where they weren't default. That would solve
> the problem, without global changes.

Yes.  But when you install a supplemental package in its default place,
you don't expect for it to mess up a previously installed vendor
package.  How would you feel if when you installed gcc in /usr/local that
it wiped out your vendor compiler or drastically changed the way it
worked?

--
Brian Ford
Software Engineer