"known bugs" in Solaris binutils - so use or not?

Anthony J Heading heading_anthony@jpmorgan.com
Mon Feb 21 05:21:00 GMT 2000

Hi,
     May I suggest it would be helpful to expand the egcs installation notes
comment for sparc-sun-solaris* (which recommends to avoid use of binutils due to
"known bugs")?

     The problem I and seemingly many other people are encountering is that Sun
as can't cope with the long symbol names of template-heavy code.    And scanning
the list from the past couple of years the universal recommendation is to
install binutils.

     Reading the release notes and changelogs of binutils 2.9.1 all I can see
highlighted is that the default export by GNU ld of symbols from executables is
different and requires the -E flag for compatibility with Sun ld.     This
resonates with the suggestion to configure --with-gnu-as --without-gnu-ld, which
I shall try,  but I'm still somewhat concerned about "known bugs" since they're
not known to me....

Thanks

Anthony