Thread-Safe

Bill Pyne Bill_Pyne@mhri.org
Thu Feb 17 10:54:00 GMT 2000

Hello,

Are the standard gcc libraries thread-safe?

I have a program which needs to use thread-safe libraries. When I
compile using gcc, I get a core dump. When I compile using IBM's xlC_r,
it runs fine. I stepped through the code using our debugger and the gcc
compiled program dumps on signal(SIGHUP, SIG_IGN). The message I get
from the debugger says something to the effect of "error in
reset_pthread_kill". Since reset_pthread_kill is nothing I'm explicitly
calling, I can only guess that somewhere within signal() it's being
called.

Are there any flags I need to set while compiling to use thread-safe
libraries? I've been searching the net for any advice/documentation and
haven't had any luck.