Profiling suggestions

Andreas Ehliar ehliar@lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 17 03:47:00 GMT 2000

Hi.

I thought it would be a good idea to make it possible to use rdtsc (or
similar instructions on non ia32 platforms) to improve the granularity of
profiling.

It would also be very nice if the profiling code also could store information
from the various performance counters (or a subset of them).
For example, it would be nice to have a list of how memory intensive various
functions are.

It might be useful if profiling data could be available even if the program
crashed. Perhaps by storing the profiling data in shared memory while the
program is running.

It is uncertain wether I'll be able to do this myself. Probably not. The gcc
source is not very comprehensible to me unfortunately.
But if someone could give me a hint of what files to look at if I want to add
it myself?

regards
Andreas Ehliar