GCC for Mac OS X

Zack Weinberg zack@wolery.cumb.org
Sat Feb 12 15:28:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 12:17:27AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> shebs@apple.com (Stan Shebs) writes:
> >
> > 4. Compiler turnaround.  Mac developers are used to the fast
> > compile times offered by Metrowerks, and are dismayed by GCC's
> > slowness.  Do we need precompiled headers?  Should file system
> > probes be cached?  There are a lot of theories going around, but
> > facts are in short supply.  But however it's accomplished, the
> > compiler needs to go faster.
>
> cc1 -v is a good fact supplier. I haven't figured out yet how to get
> it from the gcc frontend, it sadly does not seem to support -Wc,-v

I think you want gcc -Q.

I looked at this awhile back with a profiled cc1, it was dominated by
sbitmap operations.  The way we use these seems to be rather cache
unfriendly.

We also waste a good bit of time clearing memory inside the garbage
collector.  I had a patch for that at one point, should dust it off
and finish it.

zw