GCC for Mac OS X

Toon Moene toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Sat Feb 12 12:30:00 GMT 2000

Stan Shebs wrote:

[ An apple a day keeps the doctor away :-) ]

> 3. PowerPC code quality.  Apple has more than a few bit-twiddling
> graphics engineers who pore over inner loops and such.  They need
> the compiler to generate faster code.  Exception handling and
> AltiVec support are two specific areas; for instance, Apple is
> using a big hairy patch from Motorola for AltiVec code gen, but
> from what I've seen of the patch so far, it seems problematic
> for mainstream GCC.

Well, how about hacking on that patch until it looks reasonable ?  Aside
from your graphics engineers, us physicists are very much interested in
a g77 generating vector arithmetic on a home computer (or even a laptop
- if Apple ever manages to put a G4 in a PowerBook ;-)

Cheers,

--
Toon Moene (toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl)
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286