egcs-1.1.2 template explicit instantiation problems (Was: wstring ...)

Steinar Bang sb@metis.no
Fri Feb 11 03:49:00 GMT 2000

> On 11 Feb 2000, Steinar Bang wrote:

> [snip]
>>
>> Using "template " in front of this statement, like Bjarne III seems to
>> indicate:
>>
>> #ifdef __GNUC__
>> template wchar_t* string_char_traits<wchar_t>::move(wchar_t *, wchar_t const *, unsigned int);
>> template wchar_t* string_char_traits<wchar_t>::move(wchar_t *, wchar_t const *, unsigned int);
>> #endif
>>
> [snip]
> Assuming you meant the second explicit instantiation to instantiate
>   string_char_traits<>::copy(),

Yes.  That's what I meant.

> gcc 2.95.2 compiles this just fine.

Hm... but if I use gcc 2.95.2 I presumably wouldn't have to resort to
this, because then I would apply the fixes before building the
libstdc++.so. :-/

Which brings me to the question: how was the functions of
string_char_traits<char> explicitly instantiated in the libstdc++.so
of egcs-1.1.2?  Is there an easy way to find this out, apart from
fetching the source code an unpacking?