g77 Help Wanted?

Ross A. Lippert ripper@cs.sandia.gov
Thu Feb 10 12:46:00 GMT 2000

Hi.  Well, I'm not sure if I want to help with g77 because f77,
while still in use, is being superceded by f90 and f95.

Well maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but I have to say I program in
f77 when I have to, but mostly I use f90 with some f95 extensions.

Personally, I'm interested in f95 be
1) the module system is pretty darn good
2) the data structures are pretty darn good
3) it is much more lex-able than previous fortran standards
4) vendors charge an arm and a leg for it and I have to live
with their bugs.
5) Its fortran, and I have to work with scientists

I'm not an expert compiler writer by any means.  I am familiar
with lex and yacc and have written a few toys with them.

I'm not sure if I will look at the sources to egcs and recoil
in horror or plunge right in, but I'd just like to give a heads
up and see if anyone can give me some guidance.

-Ross