automatic arrays in g77

Martin Kahlert martin.kahlert@mchp.siemens.de
Tue Feb 8 22:56:00 GMT 2000

Quoting Toon Moene (toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl):
> Martin Kahlert wrote:
>
> > how can i tell g77, that a big array (double precision with >= 4097 elements
> > in my particular case) should be put on the stack instead of static storage?
> > 4096 seems to be the limit for g77.
>
> Unfortunately, you can't.  It is a compile time (i.e. f/com.c compile
> time) constant (32 Kbytes).
>
> I have been thinking about trying to make it a compiler switch (i.e. so
> that you could say something like g77 -fstackable-size=NNNN) but I never
> came around tracking down *if* f/com.c's code would allow this to be a
> variable instead of a constant.
Thanks for your quick answer!
What i would prefer is an option like -Mrecursive (Portland Group Compiler
for ix86 Linux) or -stackvar (Sun Solaris compiler) which put all
not explicitly saved locals onto the stack.

Thanks again,
Martin.

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.