wstring commented out in egcs-1.1.2 C++ library

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Tue Feb 8 14:33:00 GMT 2000

  In message < 200002082228.OAA13637@kankakee.wrs.com >you write:
  > > To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, libstdc++@sourceware.cygnus.com
  > > From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
  > > Date: 08 Feb 2000 09:04:27 +0100
  >
  > > Today I was going to use wstring in the egcs 1.1.2 installation,
  > > that's the native gcc of SuSE linux 6.2,... and found that wstring was
  > > commented out in <string>.
  >
  > If you want to contribute, please grab wstring from libstdc++ v3 and
  > back integrate it into gcc, and that way, the next major release will
  > have it in it.  Unless someone does this, the next release most likely
  > won't have it.  There might be reasons why this should not be done
  > (breaking backwards compatibility, if people are interested in
  > that)...  but in the absence of these types of things, it is just
  > unfortunate that we don't upgrade libstdc++.
Bzzt.  Wrong.

Backporting the libstdc++ wstring stuff is trivial.

The problem is it relies on a lot of code which doesn't exist on a number of
popular unix systems.  There was a tread on this issue a long time ago.
Basically someone needs to write the necessary support code for libiberty
that can be included when the host system doesn't provide proper wide char
support.

jeff