wstring commented out in egcs-1.1.2 C++ library

Mike Stump mrs@windriver.com
Tue Feb 8 14:29:00 GMT 2000

> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, libstdc++@sourceware.cygnus.com
> From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
> Date: 08 Feb 2000 09:04:27 +0100

> Today I was going to use wstring in the egcs 1.1.2 installation,
> that's the native gcc of SuSE linux 6.2,... and found that wstring was
> commented out in <string>.

If you want to contribute, please grab wstring from libstdc++ v3 and
back integrate it into gcc, and that way, the next major release will
have it in it.  Unless someone does this, the next release most likely
won't have it.  There might be reasons why this should not be done
(breaking backwards compatibility, if people are interested in
that)...  but in the absence of these types of things, it is just
unfortunate that we don't upgrade libstdc++.