Email rejected by gcc list

Mike Stump mrs@windriver.com
Mon Feb 7 15:15:00 GMT 2000

> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:18:00 +0100 (MET)
> From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>

> On 7 Feb 2000, Stephen Moshier wrote:
> > Does Cygnus know that ORBS is doing them any good?  Suppose you
> > drop ORBS for a while.  Will there be any increase in SPAM
> > getting through?

> Yes, by (at least) a factor of two or three, according to the data I
> have gather during the last year (though MAPS RSS now probably
> containts a lot of those open relays already).

You could think that, but you would be wrong.  I can state that I've
seen a 57% increase in the effectiveness of orbs (over rbl+dul+rss)
from Mar 99 to Jan 2000.  So, the other types of blocking are falling
behind as spammers swarm to the Internet.

To see the info in your own numbers, take the number of email stopped
by orbs, plot against time, and notice the slope of the curve and the
direction.

This is why we don't want to give up orbs, it works.  Unless someone
comes forward with a better scheme, this is the absolute worst way of
preventing spam, well, except for all the others.

Let's take orbs off this list, it is not a compiler issue.  We could
have a thousand message flame war about email and spam and all of it,
but let me cut to the chase, the two sides disagree, and no resolution
is possible.