Email rejected by gcc list

Richard Kenner kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu
Mon Feb 7 07:43:00 GMT 2000

    So why do they block the probes?

I thought that was clear from the original message: because some of their
customers were complaining about them.

Using a machine without the permission of the owners is a violation of
Federal law (and of some state statutes as well).  The RoadRunner
customers who asked ORBS to stop sending packets to their machines are
completely within their rights under Federal law.  If ORBS does not
choose to obey the law, RoadRunner has no choice but to block them.

This is why many people consider the ORBS folks vigilantes, especially
since there isn't a shred of evidence that open relays contribute
significantly to spam: From my own observations, I'd say less than 1%
of all spam I receive went through a relay and there is no advantage
to a spammer of using a relay.