GNAT and GCC don't coexist happily under Win32

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Fri Feb 4 10:42:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Tom Womack wrote:

> I'm using Mingw32 (version 2.95.2) under Win32, and recently installed GNAT
> to be able to play around with Ada. Unfortunately, it looks as if this has
> constructed two sets of libraries and confused the system horribly.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, and more importantly, I don't know
what your expectations are. GCC-2.95.2 for Mingw is essentially gcc-2.95.2
release + a few critical platform dependent patches that are now in the
dev/mainline branch. It also uses the latest Mingw runtime that I maintain
( ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime/ ).

GNAT on the other hand uses an older 2.8.x-based backend (at least the
public version that I used to have here), which potentially raises
compatibility issues with gcc-2.95.2.

Quite a few users I know are using both, and just install these to two
different places, and consider these two different development systems.
However, these should in theory be link-compatible at least for C code.
If not, file a bug report.

There's also the issue of the Mingw runtime. I don't know what GNAT uses
-- the latest version is always available from my site (listed above).

> What's the relationship between GNAT and GCC? Should it be possible to build
> something which is gcc-2.95.2 for C and C++ programs but also compiles Ada
> if correctly invoked?

What happens when you actually try it?

  - create some C/C++ object files using gcc-2.95.2
  - link those with your Ada code using GNAT

Regards,
Mumit