OFFTOPIC Tarball / RPM conflict - Newbie

David B. Rees dbr@spoke.nols.com
Sat Mar 20 09:29:00 GMT 1999


When installing tarballs on a RedHat system, it is best to install them under
/usr/local, where they won't interfere with RPMS, which are never unstalled
under there.  If you install egcs under /usr/local (the default, btw), it is
simple enough to invoke the wanted egcs by prepending your path with
/usr/local/bin.  Then the good egcs will be called when necessary.

-Dave

On 20-Mar-99 James Green wrote:
> 
> I'm a newbie trying to get to grips with my RedHat 5.2 installation more
> effectively. As I eventually want to know how properly use Unix/Linux in
> the future, I am compiling software rather than using RPM files.
> 
> Unfortunately, as GNOME requires egcs, I d/led it without knowing that
> it was already installed (albeit an older vers), compiled and installed
> it. The problem is that the GNOME element which requires egcs doesn't
> see it during configure, but my system can see it from the commend line.
> Both GCC and egcs return the same version number.
> 
> There must be documentation for people with conflicting installations of
> RPM and tarballs, but I cannot find any. I also can't help but feel this
> is an a FAQ *somewhere*.
> 
> Could anyone help me out, or at least point me at the relevant docs?
> I've searched the list archives without result.


More information about the Gcc mailing list