EGCS: pointer to member functions.

Joe Buck jbuck@Synopsys.COM
Wed Jun 30 15:43:00 GMT 1999

> > Here we have to build a thunk (thunk(&fp,4)) ontop of the existing
> > thunk.
>
> But then, it would have to be registered somewhere, to ensure
> uniqueness, otherwise pointer-to-members wouldn't compare equal when
> they should (or comparison would have to become much more
> complicated).

Comparing pointers to member functions for equality (for values other than
null) is a far rarer operation than assignment (I've never seen anyone do
it).  It would be appropriate to make assignment faster in exchange for
making comparison slower.

But the new design would have to support comparison, it seems.  Yuk.