Sun patch 105490-07 breaks egcs on sparc-sun-solaris2.6

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 30 15:43:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Perhaps patch 105490-07 wasn't installed correctly.
> Try running /usr/ccs/bin/ld directly on some nontrivial input.

<argl> The ./install-cluster resp. ./install-patch script of Sun
apparently did not generate any error and failed silently, so my
colleague who installed the patches missed the following after
running ./install-cluster:

    root@markab[15]# ls -la SUNWcsu/reloc/usr/lib/libelf.so.1
--> 146740 May 26 10:35 SUNWcsu/reloc/usr/lib/libelf.so.1

    root@markab[16]# ls -la /usr/lib/libelf*
    200932 May 26 10:35 /usr/lib/libelf.a
        13 Sep 28  1998 /usr/lib/libelf.so -> ./libelf.so.1
-->  89676 Oct  8  1997 /usr/lib/libelf.so.1

Simply copying over the newer version of libelf.so.1 fixed the problem,
which -- interestingly enough -- did not occur on all of our hosts.

After verifying that, I backed out this very patch and ran ./install-patch
again which indeed did not provide any error but simply omitted this sub-
patch from the list of installed patches.

> Patch 105490-07 was released in December, but as far as I can tell,
> there's no report of any similar problem in Sun's bug database, or in
> Dejanews, and I'm a little surprised by the problem you're observing.

Thanks for providing these hints!

I did not answer your further questions, but if anyone's interested in
further details, I'll happily provide these, though it seems it boils down
to a problem with Sun's patch machinery.

Gerald