Sun patch 105490-07 breaks egcs on sparc-sun-solaris2.6

Paul Eggert eggert@twinsun.com
Tue Jun 29 13:12:00 GMT 1999

   Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:19:30 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>

   After applying Sun patch 105490-07 for ld, any installed version of
   egcs 1.1.2 resp.  current CVS fails to compile even the simple
   program

     int main() { }

   with the following error message

     markab[83]:~% gcc x.cc -o x
     collect2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]
     ld.so.1: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: fatal: relocation error: file
     /usr/lib/libld.so.2: symbol _elf_getxoff: referenced symbol not found

We no longer run Solaris 2.6, so I can't easily reproduce the bug,
but here are some questions for you anyway.

Perhaps patch 105490-07 wasn't installed correctly.
Try running /usr/ccs/bin/ld directly on some nontrivial input.

Do you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_RUN_PATH environment variables set
while building or running?

Are you using Purify or any similar tool?  That can cause problems, if
it's caching an old copy of libld.

Does the problem occur if you build and install on the patched Solaris?

What's the output of `gcc -v x.cc -o x'?

Patch 105490-07 was released in December, but as far as I can tell,
there's no report of any similar problem in Sun's bug database, or in
Dejanews, and I'm a little surprised by the problem you're observing.