Question about option -fpermissive

Joe Buck jbuck@Synopsys.COM
Tue Jun 29 09:24:00 GMT 1999

> On 29 Jun 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >> #undef CC1PLUS_SPEC
> >> #define CC1PLUS_SPEC "%{!fno-permissive:-fpermissive}"
> > It might be nice to mention this trick somewhere in the FAQ.
> > Ok to install?
>
> Yes. (Unless any of the C++ or global maintainers objects.)

I am very nervous about including directions for patching the specs file
in the FAQ.  The reason is that if the practice becomes widespread, we'll
get folks sending in bug reports who don't know that someone else has
altered the specs file on their installation, so some users will have
-fpermissive on without knowing it and then be upset when the compiler
accepts illegal code.

> >From an educational point of view it might be preferrable forcing users
> with broken headers/sources to use -fpermissive each and every time
> instead of painting over the issue.

Not just from an educational point of view.  I think that anyone who
alters specs should be urged to alter version.c as well, so that users
will be alerted (by gcc -v) that they have a non-standard compiler.