cvs build problems

mark@codesourcery.com mark@codesourcery.com
Tue Jun 22 22:21:00 GMT 1999

    Jeffrey>   In message
    Jeffrey> <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906230018460.12762-100000@volatile.by-tor.tacorp.n
    et> you write:
    >> Hi, for about the past week I have been unable to build the
    >> stage 2 compiler. The stage 1 compiler just "hangs" here:

    Jeffrey> Just a note, our concentration is on the gcc-2.95
    Jeffrey> release; as such the mainline tree is not getting a lot
    Jeffrey> of attention right now.

    Jeffrey> It is likely this problem will persist for until gcc-2.95
    Jeffrey> goes out the door.

I don't think that's a good policy.  I agree completely that 2.95 is
the overall priority at the moment.

There's no reason you, as team leader, should have to approve a single
mainline patch during this time period; you've got 2.95 to worry
about.  But, people should still take responsibility for their work on
the mainline, even while we're in the release cycle.  Whoever is
responsible for the current brokenness should either fix their work,
or back out the changes, allowing everyone else to make progress.  GCC
2.95 is still weeks away, and that's an awful long time to have a
broken tree.

Some folks our working on longer-term projects that are not
appropriate for the branch, and they cannot drop what they're doing.
For example, I have customers not particularly interested in this
release.  As a co-maintainer of g++, I happily donate some of my time
to assist with release-releated issues.

But, a broken mainline means that I cannot contribute as much to EGCS
for the simple reason that I can't get my work done, hence can't bill
my customers, hence must work on other projects instead in order to
keep eating.