gcc-2.95 and SGI STL 3.2

Dima Volodin dvv@dvv.ru
Sun Jun 20 10:38:00 GMT 1999

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:11:07 +0200, you wrote:

>> STL 3.2 has one very important advantage (at least in things I'm
>> involved in) - it is thread-safe.
>
>Can you elaborate? The STL memory allocator was always
>thread-safe. What template is thread-safe now that wasn't in the past?

<string>, see the thread starting with
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-04/msg00771.html

Another STL-related (but not STL's) problem in the status quo (in 1.1.2,
I haven't had enough time to check the latest snapshots, sorry) -

T __default_alloc_template<0, 0>::.....
                           ^
in libstdc++ (that is non-thread-safe instantiations for lots of stuff),
but it's kind of explicitly recognized in the bugs/todo list.

>Martin

Dima