High-level conference re: FPGA

David L. Nicol david@kasey.umkc.edu
Thu Jun 17 12:47:00 GMT 1999

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9906/15/supercomp.idg/

is a press
release about a fast computer using a massive array of
field-programmable gate array chips instead of a CPU and memory.

Personally I am reminded of claims made by "Thinking machines
corporation" about its massively parallel machines ten years ago.

Anybody have any thoughts on what it would take to make a FPGA
architecture compile and run C programs; what sorts of
"emulation environments" might be possible on such a device?