Linux and aliasing?

mark@codesourcery.com mark@codesourcery.com
Mon Jun 7 09:18:00 GMT 1999

    Linus> My proposal might mean that fewer people will use the
    Linus> "-fno-strict-alias" switch, because they won't have to. I
    Linus> don't think you realize how most professional software
    Linus> projects work. The "professional" part means that people
    Linus> are under a deadline and don't really care about your
    Linus> standards conformance, they want things to WORK.

Please don't make these kinds of statements.  They're not becoming.

I am a professional developer, paid for my work.  Some of that work is
on free software, some is not.  Before my current job, I worked as a
technical lead in midsized software corporation, where I, and my team,
were all professional developers.  I brought two or three products to
release, and I'm well aware of the pressures, both technical and
otherwise, that accompany such a project.

    Linus> Andy Kleen already said he was playing with patches that
    Linus> implemented it, but just ignore that, like you ignore all
    Linus> the other arguments I've presented. Sorry,

I did not ignore Andy.  Indeed, I responded to him, both personally
and to the list.  I discussed his/your proposal with him, and pointed
out techincal flaws both in your proposal, and in the obvious way of
implementing it.  (I haven't seen Andy's patches, so I don't know what
approach he took; all I said was why the obvious one won't work.)