Critical C++ bugs

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 4 02:19:00 GMT 1999

After sorting my C++ bug folder, I classified the remaining bugs by
seriousness. Below are the list of bugs in the categories:
- bad code is generated
- code is not accepted, with no work-around
- ICE on legal code
(the other categories would be ICE on ill-formed code, ill-formed code
 is accepted, improvement proposals, code is only accepted after work-around)

* Bad code generation *

- Destructors not called after throw in constructor
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Sep/0190.html

- Wrong version of qualified operator delete called
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-Jan/0068.html

- Wrong version of operator delete in implicite delete
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-Jan/0074.html

- Implicit copy-assignment and -constructor calls base method
  with wrong constness
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-02/msg00476.html

- egcs allows dynamic_cast from private base
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1999-02/msg01172.html

- egcs destroys temporaries that have not been constructed
(Not archived: Bryan Scattergood, c++ code generation bug,
 <199905181433.PAA21787@callisto.fsel.com>)

* Rejects legal code *

- Derived class argument not considered as better match in overload
  resolution.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-Jan/0067.html

- Incorrectly considers throw to be of type void in arithmetical-if
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-03/msg00883.html

- Template argument deduction does not find viable candidate
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1998-Sep/0075.html

- Pointer-to-member formed incorrectly
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Sep/0719.html

- Sorry about array-new
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-Jan/0002.html

- Partial specialization leads to ambiguity
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-04/msg00145.html

- Egcs confuses number of template parameters in specialization
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00247.html

- __asm__ in templates doesn't work
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00647.html
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00644.html

- Compiler sorry about -pg
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00466.html

- ICE on pointer to namespace-scoped template instantiation
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00601.html

- Out-of-line definition of nested template class causes ICE
http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1999-05/msg00645.html

Not that I expect those to be fixed in time for gcc 2.95 - this list
is just in case somebody doesn't know what to do next :-)

Regards,
Martin