revised proposal for GCC and non-Ascii source files

Joe Buck jbuck@Synopsys.COM
Sun Jan 31 23:58:00 GMT 1999

> > we currently get '_._7myclass'. Under your proposal, we get
> > '_.._7myclass'. This is a link-incompatibility with current code.
>
> There is no need to consider "link-incompatibility with current code"
> as a requirement or even a goal for C++, only for C.  The intention
> is that C++ ABI will change in the next year or so, anyway.

Just the same, we should avoid making symbol lengths unnecessarily longer.
They just eat disk space, and one of the benefits of -fnew-abi is that
it makes mangled names substantially shorter in many cases.