Improved display of C++ template errors

Marc Espie espie@quatramaran.ens.fr
Sat Jan 30 07:13:00 GMT 1999

I don't know if this easy to do, but here's my 2 cents:

in my experience, the most confusing part of the template error messages
is that egcs refers to types by their full names. It would be great if
it could keep track of typedefs along the way, so that instead of a
`canonical' type-name, you could get the type-name that was actually used
in the code. This probably means adding some more instrumentation to the C++
compiler... Oh, and this should be switchable, obviously, as there are some
obscure error messages where you will *need* the full name.