Using $Date$ in HTML

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@logic.at
Thu Sep 24 07:00:00 GMT 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> I noticed that the "Last changed" line in the HTML files is rarely
> accurate.

Personally I always update that, too, but it's way to easy to miss and
I agree that stuff like this should be automated.

> Is this something I should do?

Sorry, please do not do this (yet).

I have been assigned web pages maintainer very recently and, together with
Marc Lehmann, I've been pondering about how to solve this and similiar
issues.

Actually I wanted to introduce myself with some suggestions and a couple
of questions on the desired direction of the web pages next week.

So please refrain from making significant changes like this for now until
a more general framework has been fixed and I'll try to make that
announcement and request for further comments as soon as possible... ;-)

Gerald (from a secondary account, due to server upgrades)