bcopy -> memcpy/memmove transition proposal

John Carr jfc@mit.edu
Sun Sep 20 10:48:00 GMT 1998

> Some popular systems do not provide ANSI compilers by default with
> their systems.  HPUX for example.  Solaris may also be in the same
> boat.

I know that a few systems don't have ANSI C compilers.  I even knew you
were going to mention HPUX.  I don't think that is a good enough reason to
keep gcc 10 years in the past.

HP is an exception.  Other vendors ship a modern compiler or none at all.
Solaris 2.x does not have ANY bundled C compiler but gcc is still viable on
that system.  Users without the Sun compiler can get gcc in binary form.