bcopy -> memcpy/memmove transition proposal

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Sat Sep 19 22:27:00 GMT 1998

  In message < 199809191817.LAA10496@cygnus.com >you write:
  > > If you do "foo = memcpy()" I think you lose if
  > > sizeof(int)!=sizeof(ptr) and no prototype exists.
  >
  > The GNU coding standards recommends against doing that, and I concur.
Right, but these things do slip through once in a while and do we want
to take the chance of generating incorrect (and bloody difficult to find)
code) in such situations?

  > This is certainly not necessary for using the mem* functions.
True, but there's several files from libiberty that gcc is using
obstack, getopt, cplus-dem, pexecute, vfprintf, choose-temp, mkstemp,
and alloca.  I think Kaveh is argueing that instead of creating another
hack that we should bite the bullet and link in libiberty (dealing
with the host/build issues along the way).

jeff