bcopy -> memcpy/memmove transition proposal

John Carr jfc@mit.edu
Sat Sep 19 08:07:00 GMT 1998

> It is really ridiculous that gcc still uses the non-ANSI functions
> (such as bcopy), rather than the standard ANSI functions.  We all
> (I hope) agree this is bogus, but fixing them all is a hassle.

I will go even further.  gcc should be written in strict ANSI C and no
longer attempt to support pre-ANSI compilers.

This means, for example, using ANSI string functions and prototypes
unconditionally.

Converting the Berkeley string functions to ANSI can be done
almost automatically.