IRIX 6 configuration sets MD_EXEC_PREFIX

Mark Mitchell mark@markmitchell.com
Thu Sep 17 11:42:00 GMT 1998

    Jeffrey> The MIPS is not particularly special in this regard.
    Jeffrey> Other ports define MD_EXEC_PREFIX so that gcc can find
    Jeffrey> the assembler, linker, crt0.o, etc.

But not *all* ports.  Should they, in your opinion?  That wouldn't be
my first choice, but I would prefer that to the present situation.
I'm looking for a policy decision on this issue that we can document
and implement.

On most systems, if the tools are in /usr/bin, there is no
MD_EXEC_PREFIX.  Instead, MD_EXEC_PREFIX is used to find
out-of-the-way tools in places like /usr/ccs/bin.  On IRIX,
MD_EXEC_PREFIX is used to find /usr/bin, because, according to Jim,
there was difficulty with people having things called `as' or `ld' in
their path that were not good assemblers or linkers.  But, this
problem exists on, say, Linux, too.  So, both platforms should be
handled in the same way, I think.

--
Mark Mitchell 			mark@markmitchell.com
Mark Mitchell Consulting	http://www.markmitchell.com