egcs 1.1b sparc Solaris 5.5.1 optimsation failure

H.J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Thu Sep 17 11:14:00 GMT 1998

> H J Lu <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> >> binutils 2.9 or newer is required for some C++ exception handling
> >> issues, but that's not your problem.
>
> > Well, all the current official binutils from the FSF have an exception
> > optimization bug.
>
> I'm aware of the problems on alpha, but I haven't noticed any problem
> on neither sparc no x86 with binutils 2.9.1.  At least, they're not
> detected by the testsuite.

That bug is not alpha specific. It just shows up on alpha in every
C++ program when an exception is thrown since _eh.o in libgcc.a
is misassembled. If you use binutils 2.9.1 and frame EH, you are
sitting on a time bomb.

H.J.