g77 and cpp. Single quote in comment line.

David W. Banks dbanks@cislunar.com
Thu Sep 17 11:14:00 GMT 1998

Hello,

I've had a long term problem with code that uses cpp with g77
and has single quotes in comment lines. What seems to be happenning
is that when someone puts a contracted word in a comment line the
preprocessor chokes. Several external codes that I've long used
on the HP, SGI, and Cray systems never had a problem with this but
since I've been using Linux this comes up all the time for me.
Is there something that can be done about it at the EGCS level?

Thanks,
-Dave Banks

%> cpp -P -C george.F > george.f
cbcget.F:3: unterminated character constant
%> cat george.F
      Program George
C All it takes is a careless contraction in one's code.
      print*, "Hello world"
      stop
      end