What is the future of name mangling ?

Martin von Loewis martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 16 22:59:00 GMT 1998

> 1. Will it become the default in the snapshots?

I think there are two reasons why this won't happen soon:
a) squangling is reportedly not complete. There are some cases were
   the squangling spec would save space, but the implementation doesn't.
   If this is completed after the feature is official, we have again
   a binary incompatibility.
b) Squangling is a perfect change to introduce other new ABI features,
   which are not protected by type-safe linking (such as the optimized
   base class layout). I expect that both features get enabled together,
   so that you get link errors if you link old and new object files.

> 2. Will egcs link differents libstdc++ for different mangling schemes?

This would be possible using the multilib schemes, I believe. I don't
think this feature is planned, though: Installing egcs multiple times
solves the same problem, and is easier to understand and maintain.

> 3. Will it be possible to choose the mangling for libstdc++ during bootstrap?
>    ( I tried to supply make with the required flags but failed)

Well, I had a patch to introduce --enable-new-gxx-abi to
configure. This patch was rejected, because anybody who would want to
use it could just as well change the source. See egcs-patches for the
code.

Regards,
Martin