[OFFTOPIC] Info files vs Man pages

Alex Buell alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 08:17:00 GMT 1998

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> I never use the info pages either, though I'm not all that hot on the
> idea of yet another configure option to deal with this kind of issue.

If it's too much work don't bother. I normally do a rm -rf /usr/info. :o)

> Thoughts from the rest of this list on adding a new configure time
> option to disable installation of the info files?

I'm very sure I have seen a texi2man converter somewhere, anyone knows if
such a beast exists? Then it could well be a matter of putting in a shell
script to convert the texi files into man format & install. This, I think
is probably the easiest option.

Also, I'm sure the man stuff could be improved by allowing hypertext links
(a la Lynx) so one can move around. Most man pages have alternative names
at the bottom of the man page, makes sense to do this :o)

PS I just had another re-think. I think adding a configure option to
disable generation and installation of info files would be a cool idea -
the idea behind this is to save time on building egcs/glibc2. I know many
of you often do daily cvs rebuilds - disabling the texi stuff might be a
bonus as texi stuff doesn't change very much over time.

Cheers, Alex.

---
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!