gcc2 sources available via anoncvs (although bootstrap is somewhat quirky).

Joe Buck jbuck@synopsys.com
Mon Sep 14 11:02:00 GMT 1998

> The word on the street is that -z9 takes up too much CPU for the gained
> compression, better to use around -z3 so you don't overload the CVS machine
> and deny service to users.

I've seen this contention, but I've never seen benchmarks, so I'm
skeptical.  Has anyone actually measured the CPU time?  Also, if network
bandwidth rather than CPU is the critical resource, then a lower
compression value would be more likely to limit service to users, as
once the network link is saturated the extra CPU would be wasted.