AMD K6 support

Marc Lehmann pcg@goof.com
Thu Sep 10 18:18:00 GMT 1998

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 12:38:59PM -0400, John Carr wrote:

> > Is there a specific reason why the already used (and known) amdk6 switch had
> > to be named k6 in egcs?
>
> I didn't know of an existing switch name.  I made my new switch consistent
> with the rest of egcs: the name of the processor does not include the
> manufacturer.  And I found k6 easier to type than amdk6.

Indeed, it would be more consistent that way, but what is the "i" in i386 if
not "intel"? "i" is not even part of the official chip number (80386), yet
its used in gcc.

Also it would be less error-prone, as there are other intel clones with
"386" and "486" in their name.

Anyway, i'll change -mamdk6/cyrix6x86 etc. in pgcc to their
manufacturer-less form, then...

    The choice of a GNU generation                        |