--without-local-prefix Does Not Work

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Thu Sep 10 03:53:00 GMT 1998

  In message <9808201245.AA09300@jackstraw.icd.teradyne.com>you write:
  > I was wrong.  The configure option --with-local-prefix=no does not work.
  > After running configure with this option I still end up with a gcc/Makefile
  > which includes the definition:
  >
  > local_prefix = /usr/local
  >
  > This causes /usr/local/include to be in the list of automatically searched
  > directories, as if a -I/usr/local/include had been added to the command
  > line.
  >
  > Short of hand-editing gcc/Makefile (which I'm now doing), how can I run
  > configure so that it doesn't generate that line.  I don't want my compiler
  > to do anything special with /usr/local/include, thank you very much.
This is the desired behavior.  I do not see why you see this as
"not working".

You can do four things with local_prefix:

  a. --with-local-prefix=yes  which generates an error.

  b. --with-local-prefix=no   which gives you the default value.

  c. --with-local-prefix=somepath which will set local_prefix to
     whatever path you select.

  d. Do nothing and you end up with the default value.  Effectively
  the same as "b" above.

Specifying "no" does not disable the use of local_prefix, nor should
it.  The fact that it did so in earlier snapshots/releases was a bug.

One could argue that =no should give an error.  I don't remember the
rationale behind not generating an error for that.

jeff