makeinfo: problems building egcs1.1a

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Wed Sep 9 18:07:00 GMT 1998

  In message < 199809040833.KAA04695@orcanie.shfj.cea.fr >you write:
  > I try to build egcs-1.1a and I have problems with makeinfo.
  > This was not the case with GCC and EGCS up to egcs-1.0.3a.
  > 	makeinfo   -I. -o cpp.info ./cpp.texi
  > 	make[1]: makeinfo: Command not found
  > 	make[1]: *** [cpp.info] Error 127
  > 	make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/papadopo/egcs-1.1a/gcc'
  > 	make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2
  >
  > I have a binary distribution of LaTeX, which includes texinfo. However,
  > I do not have makeinfo in my path. Now, there is a texinfo/makeinfo
  > directory in the egcs distribution, but it does not contain the makeinfo
  > executable. I had to build it, using 'configure' and 'make'.
  >
  > I feel this problem should be corrected or otherwise documented in the FAQ.
Something is badly wrong here since the makeinfo binary should have
been picked up from build tree of the egcs installation itself.

ie, do you have <objdir>/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo?

Did you run the make install from within the gcc subdir itself
(which won't work because it doesn't know how to find makeinfo,
make install must be run from the toplevel object directory).

jeff