Warnings in the C++ Front-End and GCC in General

Mike Stump mrs@wrs.com
Wed Sep 9 18:07:00 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:57:46 -0700
> From: Per Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com>

> > For example, g++ sometimes issues multi-line messages where the first
> > line uses one message, and subsequent lines use another.

> This is a bug.  We really need to have a convention for multi-line
> error messages so that we (and emacs compile mode) can reliably and
> unambiguously distinguish between the first line of a message and
> subsequent messages.

Yes.  There is a standard.  The standard is to use "  " at the start of
any continuation line.  I checked and there are deviations from this
standard in the code.  It would be great if someone could fix this.
An emacs power user would be best:

error{,at} ("\n.*error{,at} ("[^ ]

should be

error{,at} ("\n.*error{,at} ("  [^ ]

ditto for {warning, pedwarn}.  Be sure to do all the language
frontends.