Warnings in the C++ Front-End and GCC in General

Joern Rennecke amylaar@cygnus.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 05:52:00 GMT 1998

> Small, cryptic keywords are not an advantage to numbers, IMHO. With so
> many warnings as in GCC, the keywords won't be small, that's for sure. I
> strongly prefer numbers, they at least look neat. Sure, numbers are
> obscure, but that can be turned into advantage: user's won't overuse the
> feature if it's difficult to use.

If the objective is to make this feature difficult to use, we can require
them to formulate the to-be-excluded errors as a regexp, supply this to
egrep -v as an argument, and pipe the diagnostic output through this
egrep command.

This has the additional advantage that this feature is already implemented.