Warnings in the C++ Front-End and GCC in General

Martin von Loewis martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 9 05:52:00 GMT 1998

> Tell me again why this can't be done using sed, or an IDE
> (Cygnus provides Foundry), or an Emacs compile mode tweak?

Technically, it can be done, but show me the user who says
"A useless warning? Of course, I need to put sed into my makefile".

> In any case, GNU has a standard framework (gettext?) for
> internationalizing messages.

It was a bad idea to propose doing internationalizing on top of this
patch. However, gettext currently does not support identifying
individual messages from outside.

> Instead, what we might consider is gettext extension so a user
> can easily add a hook to suppress a specific message.  This
> would be a variant of the hooks to allow the user to control
> message catalog, but using a special magic "translation" of
> (for example) "<<suppress message>>".

I'm not sure whether a user would build and install a new message
catalogue just to disable a single warning. She could then just as
well remove it from the gcc sources and recompile the compiler.

Regards,
Martin