Exceptions workaround for older systems that don't USE_COLLECT2

Toon Moene toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Sun Sep 6 18:57:00 GMT 1998

Melissa writes:

  > Received wisdom states that you're on a system that doesn't need
  > to ``USE_COLLECT2'', you should make sure you're running a recent
  > version of GNU ld if you want exception support to work (at least
  > if it's using __throw for exceptions).
  >
  > However, under NEXTSTEP 3.3 one can't install a recent GNU ld,
  > because GNU ld doesn't support NEXTSTEP's object format. But,
  > because NEXTSTEP's ld is smart enough to grok constructors and
  > destructors, EGCS 1.1 (and every earlier release) isn't set to
  > ``USE_COLLECT2''. Net result: while static constructors and
  > destructors work fine, exceptions don't.

and Jeff replied:

>  Seems to me we ought to enable collect2 on these systems.

>  Toon -- thoughts?

>From the followup Melissa posted it's clear she knows much more
about this aspect of NEXTSTEP 3 than I do (not surprising, given
that my main interest is Fortran, not C++ ;-)

I have no convincing arguments one way or the other.

Cheers,
Toon.