egcs-980115 sunos4/hpux9 gengenrtl.c bootstrap failure

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Mon Jan 19 02:25:00 GMT 1998


  In message < 199801180752.CAA04101@caip.rutgers.edu >you write:
  > Jeff,
  > 
  > 	I thought concatenation is ##.  We're referring to the #
  > operator, which does stringizing, not concatenating. 
Opps.  You're absolutely correct.


  > 	Anyway, I think rth's patch works, but it dangerously relies on
  > the fact that if !defined(__STDC__) then hopefully cpp replaces macros
  > even inside double quotes.  I already found one platform where this is
  > not true, ie Irix4 cc.  That compiler (in default mode, ie -xansi) does
  > not define __STDC__, but it understands # and does not replace labels in
  > double quotes.  But Irix4 is very old, six other systems I tested
  > (incluiding Irix6) do work with the above patch. 
  > 
  > 	For this reason I would have preferred if this patch was instead
  > an autoconf check to detect if the # operator works in cpp.  But I can
  > live with the above patch in a crunch. 
Richard -- can you take care of this.

jeff



More information about the Gcc mailing list