Qt & gcc-2.8.0/egcs
Christopher Seawood
cls@seawood.org
Fri Jan 16 20:09:00 GMT 1998
I have available a patch to qt-1.31 that gets rid of the extra warning
messages of gcc-2.8.0/egcs complaining about not explicitly calling the
base class when declaring a copy constructor. The patch is available at
http://www.seawood.org/linux/qt-1.31-gcc.patch .
This also brings up a question about the qt license which everyone can
feel free to ignore (ie, no flamewars, please).
I had to make a patch to the base classes to fix these problems.
According to the Free License, I cannot distribute an srpm with these
changes nor can I distribute any rpms of qt programs I've built using my
"modified" libraries. This is mildly annoying.
Hypothetically speaking, if 1.31 was the last free qt release then users
would have to put up with the extra warning messages and hope that the
next release of gcc doesn't completely break qt. Or they would have to
remember to use an old version of gcc if they want to develop qt apps.
That's too much of a hassle, IMO. If the last free release of qt was made
LGPL'd instead of using the qt source license, then this would not be
an issue.
Regards
Christopher
---
Christopher Seawood * Software Engineer/System Admin
cls@seawood.org * http://www.seawood.org
More information about the Gcc
mailing list