EGCS & libiberty Was: egcs-980205 and m68-next-nextstep3: quick death

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Sun Feb 8 09:53:00 GMT 1998

  In message < rzqbtwihwq9.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk >you write:
  > I thought the idea, raised long ago, was that libiberty should provide
  > missing libc functionality for gcc to link against, rather than just
  > itself be linked against.  libf2c currently has to worry about things
  > like BSD-style sprintf which it would be nice to finesse.
libiberty can actually be used in both ways -- that's part of the reason
it's built as both a host and target library.

As a host library it can satisfy symbols for gcc.

As a target library it can satisfy symbols for libf2c -- must like it already
does for libstdc++.

The only thing to be careful with on the target side is some functions in
libiberty are GPL'd, which would then infect the target library.  Right now
we don't use any of the GPL'd functions in libstdc++, so it's not a problem.
Just something we need to be aware of if we use it for libf2c.

jeff