sizeof bool > sizeof int ?!?
Richard Hadsell
hadsell@blueskystudios.com
Thu Aug 13 17:47:00 GMT 1998
Richard Hadsell wrote:
>
> I realize that some (all?) alpha processors do not handle 1-byte data
> efficiently. I hope that the situation will change with future
> versions. But it's hard to believe that alphas don't have an efficient
> instruction set for (4-byte) int data. What about short data? Are they
> handled as badly as 1-byte data?
>
> I would prefer that bool be implemented with the best performance in
> mind, including the effects of using memory efficiently, too.
I haven't seen any comments from the compiler group on their decision to
implement bool as an 8-byte datum on alphas. If the performance is so
much better that it is worth the cost in memory usage, why is an int
only 4 bytes. Since the standard allows it to be as big as a long, why
not? I thought that we could expect an int to be whatever size gives
the best integer performance.
So I don't understand why a bool is any longer than an int. What other
considerations were there in making the decision?
--
Dick Hadsell 914-381-8400 x5446 Fax: 914-381-9790
Reply-to: hadsell@blueskystudios.com
Blue Sky | VIFX http://www.bluesky-vifx.com
1 South Road, Harrison, NY 10528
More information about the Gcc
mailing list